Monday, March 15, 2010

34th Cleveland International Film Festival

The Oscars have come and gone and awards season is (finally) over, right? Not in Cleveland. Here the fun is just getting started!

That is because this Thursday the 34th Cleveland International Film Festival kicks off at Tower City Cinemas downtown. One of the largest film festivals in the world, the 10 day festival features more than 300 films, documentaries, and short films from 80 countries.

My wife and I had a great time at the Greater Cleveland Film Commission's (GCFC) Road to the Red Carpet event on Oscar night. Thank you to Cleveland Metromix for the tickets (pictures of the night can be found here, we're somewhere in the album). They really pulled out all the stops for this event and Pickwick and Frolic was a great location. If you want to get your $ worth out of a charity event, you shouldn't look any further than Road to the Red Carpet.

Anyway, while at the event I entered an Oscar pool, picked everything correctly, and won several passes to the Film Festival (which is put on by the Cleveland Fim Society NOT the GCFC. The two organizations tend to get confused with one another, but have 2 very different missions. The GCFC focuses on bringing film work & jobs to Northeast Ohio, and the Film Society focuses on film preservation and the festival).
So, what should I see? What are you seeing? I could use some suggestions. Check out the festival program here and let me know what you plan on seeing. I welcome all opinions. I might even give you a ticket voucher. Chances are I won't have time to use all the ones I have. So let me know what you'd use it on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I suggest "Out of Place" - a documentary about the underground surf culture in Cleveland. The cast and crew will be at all the screenings and they are the nicest bunch of dudes you'd ever want to meet!

If you aren't into documentaries, I recommend "Hipsters" - a Russian musical set in the technicolor '50s.