Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Top TV Ad of 2008?

This week Time magazine released their Top 10 of Everything in 2008 list. The lists range from the basic top 10 news stories, movies, music, etc to more specific lists like the top 10 outrageous earmarks or top 10 fleeting celebrities (i.e. Joe the Plumber). The list I want to discuss is the Top 10 TV Ads of 2008. Here is their selection for #1:


That was an amusing campaign, yes, but was it REALLY the best ad of 2008? Was it better than Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads (not the Seinfled ads, we can all agree they misfired a little) or more effective than Barack Obama's infomercial? Is Time judging the ads from a purely creative perspective, or are they taking into account the communication of the message or the percentage of the audience motivated to act on the ad?

I don't know off the top of my head what my favorite TV ad of the year is. I can tell you that right now I enjoy Nike's new LeBron James chalk ads. As a Cavs fan I'm a little bias, but even so it is another ad well done by Nike:


What was your favorite TV ad of 2008? (it can be non-basketball related)

1 comment:

Mrs. Fix said...

That one is nowhere close to the best ad of 2008. I really like the Lexus (I think -- it's one of those cars) commercials right now with the big wheel and the pony. But I don't watch enough TV to really know the best. I just know that TIME got it wrong.